WHAT IS LAMINATE FLOORING?
It’s no secret that laminate flooring is cost-effective, mess-resistant and more often than not, fuss-free. You may be asking what else makes laminate flooring such a firm favourite aside from these benefits?
Invented in 1977 in Sweden, laminate flooring is by far one of the biggest advancements in interior renovation. After the trend spread across Europe in the 80s and then to the US in the 90s, another Swedish company took it one step further by developing glue-free laminate flooring planks that made it even easier to install.
Since then, the rest is history. This type of flooring has become the preferred choice for homes across the world, along with a constant favourite in home magazines, décor shows and interior websites for its blend of style, easy installation, longevity and affordability.
With the constantly improving quality of materials and products on the market, it is almost impossible to spot the difference between hardwood and laminate flooring. Take a closer look and you may be able to notice some very small differences, but if you have sourced your floors from a trusted supplier, the overall result is one that is flawless and stylish.
Did you know that your laminate flooring could also help reduce allergies and even cut down on stress too?
Laminate flooring features
- Easy on the budget. Depending on the material, number of planks needed and the installation, this option works out far easier on the budget than traditional wood. Upkeep is far easier too, with easy cleaning and less chance of scratches and surface damage. As it is designed to be durable and long-lasting, replacement is not a huge factor either.
- Easy on the eye. Visually, this type of floor is as close to wood as it gets without being pure wood. This is due to an imprinted layer that has a photo realistic imprint of real wood grain. By choosing a mixture of plank designs, you will end up with a wood look that is so realistic, it shows right down to the grain and grooves.
- Easy on the installation. Another big advantage to modern laminate flooring is that installation can be done quickly and easily with some basic DIY knowledge and skills or you can call one of our expert Floors Direct installation teams. The glue-free installation uses special click technology that fits each plank together like a puzzle. The finish is smooth, without unsightly cracks or gaps in between planks, and everything remains bonded without the need for glue.
- Easy on the wear and tear. As we mentioned above the upkeep on laminate flooring is minimal, this is due to highly durable planks that comprise a number of layers. Each layer is designed to strengthen and protect, with a final UV resistant layer helping to protect against sunlight and water (if choosing planks that are water-proof). This means less stress over pets, kids and other traffic on your laminate floors.
- Easy on the hayfever. As laminate flooring does not gather dust, or have gaps that allow dust and particles to build up, these floors are also ideal for allergy sufferers. Moisture is also kept at bay, ensuring a hygienic option that further relieves the risk of allergens accumulating.
- Easy on the environment. Last but not least, laminate flooring helps the planet. Materials used to create the product come from sustainable trees such as pines, or wood waste that would usually go to the dump. No exotic trees are used, which is so often the case with genuine hardwood floors.
As more homes and premises catch on to the many benefits offered by this choice, one thing is sure – laminate flooring is here to stay!